Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The heart of the matter...

I called Cyler's cardiologists office today to see if she would like to schedule an appointment with us to clear Cyler for his upcoming surgery.  I was politely told by the nurse that his doc decided to have a baby of her own and liked it so much she wouldn't be returning after maternity leave.   I immediately had a mini freak out.   She has been following Cyler since he was a baby.   She has calmed ME down and worked ME through everything.  She knows all about his unique little heart---the PVC's, bradycardia, and even a little flap of patch that we see every now and then during echo cardiograms.  During the last appointment she told us that she doesn't even need to see Cyler for 2 years since everything was ok.

After my brain recovered from what I had just been told, the nurse explained that Dr. Riddle had made a recommendation as to what cardioligist should follow Cyler.   I asked  the nurse if this new doctor was told all about Cyler and his heart.  I also asked how much training and experience he has had.  She then said " well, I don't know if you have heard of CHOP"....she didn't need to go any further but I am happy that she did.    She explained that he has a good deal of experience and has been completely filled in on Cyler.  This  information made me feel a lot more at ease. Actually, when I was pregnant with Cyler and found out about his omphalocele we seriously considered traveling to PA for his birth so that he could have access to the experts at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
However, we ended up spending the final month of pregnancy on bed rest as a patient of Winnie Palmer Hospital in Orlando, FL.

Anyway, the nurse ended up giving us a call this evening to let us know that the new doctor has thoroughly reviewed Cyler's record and has determined that he is clear from a cardiac standpoint.  I am relieved and nervous at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment